Friday, December 2, 2011

Just Breath

Yesterday was our 4 month checkup.  David now weighs 12 pounds and 14 ounces and is 22 inches long.  He has made it to the 25th percentile for his length.  Victoria is 9 pounds 3 ounces.  She is 20 inches long.  She still hasn't made it to the chart yet, but the doctor said that if you calculate from where she started she is right on track.  David has rolled over once by himself, so the doctor said if you calculate that he was 2 months premature he is actually ahead of the game. Doctor said appears we have 2 beautiful, healthy babies.  (which I already knew) 

Then the dreaded time came.  Shot time.  Ranita had David and he went first.  First it was the oral medicine.  Then the shots.  When the nurse picked up the shot, Ranita screamed "that is huge."  He wanted to pick up his baby and run away, but the nurse was ready to block him.  My husband is afraid of shots himself.  I explained to him that he is now the parent and his response should be that it is no big deal and comfort his child.  David screamed and held his breath and screamed.  Then came Victoria's turn.  She was very determined not to take the oral medicine.  She tried to spit it out over and over, but the nurse was determined, too.  The nurse won...she finally gave in and swallowed it.  She did give the nurse several smiles during this battle.  Then the shots.  This time the nurse proceeds to tell me that the needles are long and to not be alarmed.  I quickly told her not to worry, I wasn't as much of a wimp as her daddy.  (I was just kidding honey...I love you.)  After shots were over we were free to go.  We stayed in the room awhile to console the babies.  We didn't want to scare the other kids in the waiting room.

 We finally got to the car.  I was shutting the door and I asked Victoria if she was ok and she quickly turned her head away from me.  She didn't mean to, I was sure of it.  Then we get home.  I open the door to get Victoria out and she turns her head away from me again.  So I waited and when she turned back, I tried again to which I received her jerk of her head in the other direction.  How could this be.  A 4 month old that already knows how to do this to her mom.  I am in trouble.  I know how to fix it.  It is time to eat.  I will feed her, to which I received a refusal to eat and spitting out of the milk.  Ok...I get it.  You are mad at me, because I gave you to the nurse.  So off to dad she goes.

David didn't hold a grudge.  He didn't care who held him as long as he was held and neither of his legs got touched or moved.  They both were improving their lungs yesterday.  They were getting ready for those days that they swim.  The would scream, hold their breath, and then scream.  Repeat for 6 hours.  I was ok with them being upset.  After all they did just have shots in both legs.  I understood that they hurt.  My advise to them was to just breath.  I would tell them that they aren't going to feel better by screaming and holding their breath to which I would receive a louder scream.  It took Victoria about 3 hours to forgive me for giving her to the nurse in the first place. 

Then it was my turn to just breath.  My husband asked me when our Medical deductible started over.  I said January to which his reply was, so we will have met that $2000 deductible by January 3.  Did you have to remind me of that.  See our babies being preemies have to have 6 months of shots that are $1000 each.  They are to help them to keep from getting the flu and things like that.  Insurance has approved the shots, but we will have to pay for the ones in January.  At least we will have our deductible met early in the year. 

Thanks to our friend Stacey Holcombe, we finally got to breath.  She came over that evening and help hold the babies for us.  Then she did the ultimate...she spent the night and stayed in David's room.  She ended holding him most of the night, while his mom and dad got to sleep.  We have been blessed with great friends and family!  I don't know how we will ever be able to repay her for all she does for us.  Thanks Stacey!

No comments:

Post a Comment